There’s no doubt about it. If you want to keep your home safe from breakins,
you should have good locks an all doors and windows. An alarm system
is also a good idea.
But home security doesn’t end with locks and alarms. There are other less
obvious ways to keep your home safe. For example:
• Install exterior lights with a motion detection feature. A light suddenly
going on will almost always send a potential intruder away.
• Look for – and if possible eliminate – spots around your property
where someone can hide.
• Always have some lights on in your home when you’re away for an
• Never announce that you’re on vacation or otherwise away from your
home on social media sites. (Also ask your kids not to do this!)
• Don’t leave tempting valuables where they can be easily seen
through a window.
In addition to good locking systems on doors and windows, simple
precautions like these will significantly lower the risk of a break-in