Originally located in Pickering Township, a community began to grow in 1807, when Quaker Timothy Rogers purchased 800 acres of land and brought a number of Quaker families to settle in the area. A post office was granted in 1829 and called Pickering. The village itself went under a number of names in the early years, including Canton and Duffins Creek, but eventually adopted the same name as the post office.
In 1878, the Quakers’ Canada Yearly Meeting of the Society of Friends established an educational institution, Pickering College, on the outskirts of the village. It was destroyed by fire in 1905 and relocated to Newmarket, Ontario.
In 1953, It was incorporated as the Village of Pickering. At that time, it had a population of nearly 900. At the 1971 Census, the closest to the date of amalgamation, the municipality had a population of 2,535.
When the Regional Municipality of Durham was created in 1974, the Village of Pickering confusingly became part of the Town of Ajax. It became known as “Pickering Village” to differentiate it from the City of Pickering.